CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER
Every Mother Counts is an advocacy and mobilization campaign to increase education and support for maternal mortality reduction globally. Every Mother Counts seeks to engage new audiences to better understand the challenges and the solutions while encouraging them to take action to improve the lives of girls and women worldwide. Every Mother Counts is still a very small organization but has offices in both New York and Washington, DC. This position will work out of our DC location, under the supervision of the Executive Director.
We are looking for a Chief Operations Officer to oversee the establishment of our office in Washington, DC and to help manage administrative requirements of our operations. This is an exciting and varied role requiring strong managerial and organizational skills, an attention to detail and a can-do attitude. The successful applicant should have proven senior level administration/operations experience, with demonstrable knowledge of Human Resources and financial processes. We will consider a part-time candidate for this position.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the administrative operations of the Washington, DC office, including management of vendor relationships, contractors and facilities.
- Working with our HR consultant, develop and manage HR processes for staff, including recruitment, benefits and payroll.
- Manage the day-to-day financial processes of the office and serve as primary liaison to accountants.
- Lead on all monthly, quarterly and year end financial processes.
- Work with accounting team to ensure EMC fulfills all tax filing requirements.
- Serve as lead on grant reports and maintaining all filings required by donors.
- Help ensure sound financial prospectus on incoming donations and partnerships so as to inform grants to implementing programs.
- Support Executive Director in developing internal strategic planning tools and effective means to measuring impact.
- Provide general project support to the wider EMC team.
- Willingness and ability to take on broader projects related to the organization’s mission as needed.
SPECIFIC TYPES OF KNOWLEDGE, SKILL & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (candidates should demonstrate how their experience meets these in their application):
- Experience in office management/senior level administration
- Some experience of working within a HR function and familiarity with employment law and practices
- Experience of working with an electronic financial system, payroll and benefits systems, financial record keeping and working to a budget
- Experience with grant management; grant proposal writing skills a plus
- Highly computer literate in all Microsoft office applications (e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, Access) and experience with general office IT applications (hardware and software)
- Excellent organizational skills with excellent attention to detail; proven ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Excellent judgment and sensitivity
- Experience of supervising the work of contractors
- Experience of developing and implementing operational systems and process
- Experience in risk management and negotiation
- Ability to produce under pressure and tight deadlines
- Ability to develop specific goals and to prioritize, organize, and accomplish those goals
- Entrepreneurial spirit; does not mind unstructured and sometimes unpredictable environments
- Preference for collaboration, with a proven success working with others
- Flexible, resourceful and innovative
- General interest and dedication to the mission of EMC
Please direct a resume and cover letter to email@example.com