Saving Mothers, Giving Life
Every Mother Counts has set a goal for itself to establish a wide array of partnerships with diverse actors to truly impact the lives of women around the world and change the face of maternal health. That’s why we joined with the U.S. Global Health Initiative, the Government of Norway, Merck for Mothers, and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists to launch “Saving Mothers, Giving Life.”
“Saving Mothers, Giving Life” is a public-private partnership established in 2012 that seeks to accelerate the reduction of needless maternal deaths. What’s different, and the reason that EMC was so eager to join, is that we have a great set of partners with unique skills and resources; we have an ambitious but focused goal to reduce maternal deaths; AND we share a commitment to take this on in a way that can truly make a lasting difference. We started small—in four districts each in Uganda and Zambia—to work with local partners and really prove that this is possible. But, our hope is that it’s just the beginning. We hope to establish a framework that is scalable so that we can take the same approach in more districts and more countries—because EVERY mother counts.
While there are a wide variety of factors that contribute to maternal death—from proper nutrition and family planning all the way through to post-partum care—this initiative will focus on the crucial period around labor, delivery, and the 24 hours immediately following, because two thirds of maternal deaths and almost half of all infant deaths occur during that 24-hour window.
The challenge is daunting but the opportunity for improvement is immense. Every Mother Counts is just one of several partners here but we hope to make a contribution with your support. Our goal is to continue to raise awareness about maternal health amongst diverse audiences and energize them to get involved as well. A portion of all the funds we raise through walks, runs, corporate partnerships and whatever other crazy ideas we come up with—will be channeled to programs in these Saving Mothers, Giving Life countries that will support our joint goals. And just as we commit to keep you informed with all our programmatic support, we will bring you stories that chronicle the success through our investments in Saving Mothers, Giving Life as well as updates on the broader collective efforts of the partnership as well.
More Information on Saving Mothers, Giving Life
- Every Mother Counts Executive Director Travels to Uganda and Zambia with Saving Mothers, Giving Life Partners
- Saving Mothers, Giving Life Fact Sheet
- Ugandan Nurse Makes a Difference
- Secretary Clinton's Speech in Norway
- Secretary Clinton's Speech in Washington, DC
- January 8, 2014: Saving Mother's, Giving Life is One and Every Mother Counts is Joining the Celebration
- August 12, 2013: Bonnie's Baby Announcement
- May 24, 2013: Saving Mothers, Giving life Update
- May 13, 2013: A Special Message from Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, Kathleen Sebelius
- February 15, 2013: Erin, "Put Some PEPFAR Energy Behind Maternal Health"
- February 4, 2013: SMGL Has a New Website
- December 13, 2012: Christmas in Uganda - Bonnie
- December 6, 2012: No Christmas, No Deaths: Dr. Addy's Christmas in Uganda
November 21, 2012: Goign the Distance with Moms
- November 20, 2012: Speed Bump - Uganda
- November 16, 2012: Jessica's Thursday - "We Want It to Be a Community Concern..."
- November 15, 2012: Erin's Wednesday in Uganda - The people who care for the people
- November 15, 2012: Erin's Tuesday in Uganda - Thinking about Family Planning
November 14, 2012: Christy Turlington Burns, Shanti Uganda
- November 13, 2012: Jessica's Monday in Uganda
- November 12, 2012: Erin's second night in Uganda
- November 12, 2012: Erin's First Full Day in Uganda
- August 7, 2012: Erin's Visit, Report from the Front Lines in Uganda
- June 14, 2012: Introducing...Bonnie, Ugandan Nurse Makes a Difference
Press on Saving Mothers, Giving Life
- CDC Global: Saving Mothers, Giving Life - A Positive Impact
- UKZAMBIANS (UK): Zambia's Political Will in Health Matters Applauded
- The Independent (Uganda): U.S. Pledges Support to Fight Increasing HIV/AIDS Incidence
- Press Release: Saving Mothers, Giving Life Targets Dramatic Reduction in Maternal Deaths Globally
- Global Post: Clinton Launches Ambitious Maternal Health Project
- The Lancet: Accelerating the Global Response to Reduce Maternal Mortality (pdf)