H.R.5977 Mothers and Offspring Mortality and Morbidity Awareness Act, or the “MOMMA’s Act”
INTRODUCED BY: CONGRESSWOMAN ROBIN KELLY (D-IL) 05/25/2018
The MOMMA’s Act consists of five main components that target preventing maternal deaths and reducing maternal morbidity:
- Provide technical assistance for states with respect to reporting maternal mortality by using a standard method for data reporting.
- Issue best practices to state Maternal Mortality Review Committees (MMRCs) on how to best identify, review, and prevent maternal deaths.
- Expand Medicaid and CHIP coverage for postpartum care from 60 days to a year.
- Support the Alliance for Innovation on Maternal (AIM) – a national alliance working to implement standardized protocols across the country – by ensuring that hospitals adopt and implement data-driven maternal safety bundles.
- Establish Regional Centers of Excellence – a grant program addressing implicit bias and cultural competency in patient-provider interaction education for the purpose of enhancing and improving how health professionals are educated in implicit bias and delivering culturally competent health care.